Wednesday, October 19, 2022

How Does Gender Affect the Teaching Profession?

    As females in the teaching profession, we are subject to underpay and discrimination in the system. Before reading this module and the articles that came with it, I knew that majority of teachers were women especially in the elementary setting. What I did not know is that when it comes to administration and higher positions, a good percentage are men. In the podcast Gender Matters: Challenges Facing Women in Education, It states that "83 to 86% range of teachers are women," "54% of principles are women, predominantly in elementary schools," "And then at the superintendent level, it's been around 23%." Then it talks about the flip side of these numbers for the male population in the school system. These numbers just prove that there is a disconnect in the system. Males and females who are equipt for a position should be able to take it on no matter their gender. Females who have the abilities to run a school district should be in that position over a man who has no experience or qualifications. Unfortunately in the current school system women are not always seen as having authority over anyone other than their students. As a future educator, I want to be respected by all people in the school no matter the gender or position. I also want there to be equal chances for everyone to be in a position based off of qualifications not because they are a male or female. This might be wishful thinking but if we work together we can move towards a change. 


References 

https://the-harvard-edcast.simplecast.com/episodes/gender-matters-challenges-facing-women-in-education/transcript 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline, I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on how gender affects the teaching profession! Based on the examples you listed of how gender affects females teachers, I would have to agree. Adding on to what you were saying about the underpay,I believe that women are paid less than men because they are seen as just mothers (stay at home moms). Men are seen as the bread winners of the family, theres a misconception that men are supposed to make more than women. Its almost as if society thinks its embarrassing for woman to make more or just about the same as men. I hope this is something that soon changes in the teaching profession because everyone should be treated the same, no one should be over anyone as you said no mater their gender or position. Women should be offered the same opportunities men are offered and we should all get paid the same amounts for the same position jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline! I think your blog was really good and the percentages you provided were really insightful. It really is interesting to see how even when education is a predominantly woman led profession, when it comes to higher level, admin, and leadership positions you mostly see men. It once again shows how sexism continues to be very present in our society. Women have been thought of as less capable than men when it comes to professional careers for decades and they continue to be undervalued. I definitely agree with you that a job position should be given based on a person's qualifications and abilities not on their gender. It is so frustrating to see women not get the positions and jobs they deserve just because they are women and even more infuriating when the man getting the job doesn't have half the qualifications a woman has. I too hope that in the future there are better opportunities for all people in the teaching position and that women are able to get the respect they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caroline! I really enjoyed reading your blog. I think that the quote you included on gender in schools really shows how many females teach in schools and I enjoyed putting that number to my thoughts. I agree that there should respect through all people in schools. What are your thoughts on gender in superintendent positions? Only having 23% of female superintendents seems so crazy to me since the general teaching field is so female dominated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Caroline! Great Post! You focused on some important facts. This module was extremely informative. I also didn't know that the majority of the leadership roles in education are held by men. It was interesting to learn that the majority of principals and super superintendents are men, but the majority of teachers are women. This is because of the stereotype that is connected to teaching. Society looks at teaching as a "female profession" and is often seen as an "easy" profession. This is why teachers are underpaid and lack the respect that they deserve. It's disappointing that this is the reality of our profession. I believe that teaching should be a respected profession and that female educators should be given more opportunities. If more people are educated on gender gaps in the workplace, and how we can work to close them, our society can work towards equality in all professions.

    ReplyDelete

What makes great teaching?

      For this weeks assignment we were asked to make a list of our top 5 strategies from this class. When looking through the list, it was ...